Posted to alt.home.repair
Cshenk Cshenk is offline

Default How to get rid of smoke odor

"Walter R." wrote

Thanks for any and all input.

--
Walter

Walter, I just remembered something else we did. My Mom took us to the
library and set us all to looking for gardening books for pretty and
aromatic plants that would take well to the conditions (fine layer of soot
around yard, deeper layer in burned down wooded area). I mentioned we
replanted pine seedlings in the woods but we also put in quite a few plants
around the house that would help.

I do recall some of the plants didnt take well, and some that werent
recommended for that type of soil condition did actually work (remember, we
were dealing with a light layer, not a heavy one as the fire did not reach
the actual yard, comming at closest point about 15 yards away).

Ones that survived well and fit the growing area, yours too I think?
Azaleas, gardinas, lilac, roses, hyacinths, hydrangea. Some of those were
from the libary book recommendations but I do not recall which were which
after 35 years. We also had several herb gardens in window boxes so when we
opened the windows, we smelled mostly those that first year. Mine and my
sister's bedroom had mint at one window and oregano at the other grin. My
brother got the sage. Mom had a rose bush that grew HUGE and up over her
window (trained wild climbing rose).