Posted to alt.home.repair
Phil-In-Mich. Phil-In-Mich. is offline

Default sears cordless tool batteries

I have no prob with sears cordless tools for homeowner use, if you use
them according to the way they were designed.
But the battery pacs just plain SUCK.
They want hold a charge long, just give up the ship to easy. What brand
of cordless tools has a good battery pac for homeowner use?

Won't happen. All cordless batter packs go bad after a few years.

My story: Got one of those Xmas cordless drill specials from Sears in the
mid-1990s. Bought a replacement battery pack around 2000 maybe '01. Now
dead again. Very cheap cordless battery drill packaged with two batteries
at W-M place cheaper than 2nd replacement battery in '06. $32.00 for new
drill and batteries, or $56.00 plus shipping for replacement.

Question: I opened up the original battery pack and inside were just off the
shelf Ni-Cad batteries connected together. So, why hasn't someone come up
with a battery pack with a way to just replace the internal batteries. For
example remove four screws, pop the batteries, insert new batteries, reseal
the battery case, and charge it. (and repeat every 4 to 5 years.)

What, H.F. wouldn't sell such a battery packs? China wouldn't make such a
thing?

I know, I know, cheaper to build and buy new than repair old.

Phil