Posted to alt.home.repair
Phil-In-Mich. Phil-In-Mich. is offline

Default Building Code, Michigan

Detached garage being built in Suburb of Detroit, MI

Contractor claims a dispute I am having with him is because "It is Code."
But somehow contractor's claim of "Code" is so un-reasonable for a
detached garage, it makes me think any similar actual rule would be for an
attached garage.

Cannot seem to find anything on internet for local building code (county
or city). So, How do I find out if contractor is bull***ting me or if
there is really a building code requirement.

No, I an not sure I do trust him on this issue.

For the record, I took the advise given in this thread and contacted the
local building inspector's office.
(And yes, after the expected unfriendly greetings, condescending attitude,
and basic rudeness that has to be endured by locals here...)
I was told the contractor had indeed made up his claim that it had to be
done his way in order for the building inspector to pass the building code
inspection.

To verify I contacted the building inspector in a different local city, and
county; WOW what a difference. Polite, eager to offer advise, and explained
more than I had asked, but I didn't know I need the extra information. Now
I wonder, shouldn't building inspector office's other places be like this?
(Yes, again got confirmation that my contractor had fabricated his code
claim!)

The contractor wants to do it the cheap way, and is using the Building Code
Inspection to justify doing it his way, not the way I, the paying customer,
wants it done which would cost the contractor some profit.

I also learned that the contractor had taken some 'shortcuts' to obtain the
building permit, but since he was required to obtain the building permit, I
guess I can't complain. But it sure shows a pattern of fabrication and
un-truthfulness.

Phil