Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Polishing stainless steel

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 10:03:17 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 00:51:45 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

:
:And not nice on your lungs, I hear. Of course, safety glasses should go
:without saying.
:
The other day when I spent 1/2 hour to 45 minutes doing my first powered
buff, I had the idea that the air was getting kinda foul. Will any sort
of dust mask work? I have an assortment. Suppose I should use my safety
goggles, too!

Goggles good. Dust foul. I use cheap dust masks that I buy 50 in a pack.

I can't wear those because I can't get them to seal worth a ****. I
buy the $2 Wally World masks with the valve and sometimes use an extra
strip of soft foam to seal my nose so it doesn't fog up my glasses.
(if goggles aren't being used.) They can be reused for a month +.

Here's a picture of the knife, my bandaged finger and a blood soaked
bandage I'd just replaced:

http://fox302.com/index.pl?s=vf&user...kedbandage.jpg

The finger healed OK (without stitches), but it still hurts some. It's
been almost a year, but sometimes nerves are slow to heal.

Ouch!

Aack! I get chills just seeing things like that.

A couple decades ago, I hadn't yet sharpened Mom's knife for her and
was cutting up some beef for stew one time. It caught some gristle and
pulled my thumb into the line of fire. It cut halfway through my nail
and thumb, widthwise, and stopped. I felt somethign funny and looked
down, then started laughing. Mom almost fainted. I soaped up and
rinsed it out well, then butterfly bandaged it, changing it and using
triple antibiotic (aka Magic Medicine) on it for a few days. After a
couple weeks, I almost forgot I'd been bitten. Some people would have
freaked out and spent a couple grand at the hospital. I used common
sense and a buck in bandaids to accomplish the same thing. I get
chills just seeing hospital bills. So there.

"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
O.J. is walking around free, Osama Bin Laden too, but they
take the one woman in America willing to cook and clean
and work in the yard and haul her ass to jail."
--Tim Allen