Gunner

Default 55 Gal. steel drum question

On Fri, 28 May 2004 21:12:10 -0700, Roger Hull
wrote:

Hi, All:

First; Thank you to the group for past assistance. You don't get told that
nearly enough. You've always given of yourselves, knowledge, time, and ideas,
and I appreciate it a lot.

I need ideas again. I have a 55 Gal. steel drum I want to convert into a bead
blast cabinet. I've cut a large hole in the drumhead which will eventually be
the door for workpieces. My quandry is that the drum stood for years with
water in it and there is HEAVY rust inside. The problem is how to remove it?
It would take a ton of abrasives to blast it all and be a nasty job to boot.

What makes this problem special is the fact that I am physically handicapped.
I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and very little actual physical strength. I
depend heavily on chain falls, come-alongs, ramps and hydraulic jacks to do
what most would consider everyday chores (I live alone and am VERY
independant). If it wasn't for that I'd just put sand in the drum and roll it
around. I have a pretty complete shop, welders, two lathes, a mini-mill, ect;
and build special tools all the time. But here I'm not sure how to proceed.

Any and all suggestions (even the smart-assed ones) would be appreciated.
TIA.

Roger in Vegas
Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer

Sunworshipper..this may be right up your alley, and a new compadre to
boot.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell