Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Polishing stainless steel

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 00:13:26 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

:
:You just put some on a firm surface and pull the blade across, like a
barber
:strops a razor. My favorite surface is tempered (hard) Masonite. Smooth
:cardboard, like oaktag, works well but doesn't last as long.

I have some masonite. I'll work up a strop.
:
:The heat is for applying the compound. Use a heat gun or an old hair
dryer
:to get it very warm, then rub the stick on the surface. If you do it cold
it
:will go on unevenly, if you try to get much on there. You also can put a
few
:drops of solvent on the stick and then rub it on the surface, but heat
works
:better. Heat the surface after applying the compound and smooth it out
with
:a paper towel or a rag.

: I charge mine once every year or two. That's all it
:takes.

Once a year... you're talking about your masonite strop or your buffing
wheel?

I'm talking about the masonite strop.

How much to you put on a buffing wheel and how often do you reapply? The
other day I put on more and more in hopes that I'd get more progress in
cutting through the tough coat on this SS pot. Right now, the wheel edge
is pretty darn saturated with brown tripoli compound. It's a pretty soft
4" wheel.

Jeez, how can I measure that? I just put it on until it's enough. d8-) It
doesn't take a lot. Maybe someone else here has a way to explain it.
Sometimes you have to re-charge the wheel in the middle of a job, if the
work is rough or has edges that keep stripping the compound off the wheel.
Usually, though, I charge it every second or third time I use it. Emery
seems to wear off fast. Rouge lasts a long time. It's something I just do by
feel.

snip

--
Ed Huntress