Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Polishing stainless steel

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 00:51:45 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

Yeah, I learned to let it eat through like you're describing. I took
to wearing a dust mask (and buttoned-up collar) at the buffer, too.
Dem tings is messy!

And not nice on your lungs, I hear. Of course, safety glasses should go
without saying.

Right. Goggles or face shield over my glasses.

Oh, BTW: if you need a little bit in a liquid form, for hand polishing
with
the rouge, for example, it dissolves easily with a wide variety of
solvents.
Lighter fluid or paint thinner are as good as anything. If you have a heat
gun or a hair dryer you don't care about, I'll tell you how I use the
stainless polish for honing blades (everything from my German straight

Oh, I missed this tip the first time through. That's good to know.

Shaving isn't a test of real plane iron sharpness, Ed. ScarySharp(tm)
is miles beyond that particular form of dullness.

Tell us about ScarySharp. I could use a good scare.

http://www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM Long Live Steve LaMantia!
Blades so sharp you have to be careful how you move them through the
air for fear of splitting atoms with 'em! chortle

BTW, I made the mistake of using that stropping treatment on one of my
fillet knives when I was younger and foolisher. It was so sharp I couldn't
skin a fish with it. The blade went right through the skin, no matter how
well you tried to control the blade.

Hah! Cut some paper with it and it'll dull quickly.

"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
O.J. is walking around free, Osama Bin Laden too, but they
take the one woman in America willing to cook and clean
and work in the yard and haul her ass to jail."
--Tim Allen