Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric shock, faulty earth terminal.

In article ,
Owain writes:
Bill wrote:
I'm not looking to apportion blame any where, apart from maybe at myself
for having touched a damp switch, more just interested in if it would be
reasonable to expect the fault to have been picked up on a routine
electrical inspection or is this taking it too far?

It would depend on the exact nature of the 'routine electrical
inspection'. I've seen inspectors in commercial premises with a long
wander lead probing every accessory as a check that there's an earth
present, but that might only be done every five or ten years.

I've seen inspectors in commercial premises who managed to inspect
and sign off a large open plan office, just by checking that a
kettle they found on someone's desk was capable of boiling up a
couple of pints of water.

On another occasion, they managed to PAT test all the computers
in the office over night. I guess they weren't used to doing
unix desktop systems, and overlooked that 'uptime' the following
morning revealed the computers hadn't been rebooted for months,
even though they each gained a new PAT test pass sticker.

A domestic inspection might be more likely to take a representative
sample rather than check them all.

--
Andrew Gabriel