Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Polishing stainless steel

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 22:45:34 GMT, Dan_Musicant
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 14:05:25 -0500, Ned Simmons wrote:

:
:http://www.mcmaster.com/
:4784A2
:Buffing Bar Steel Cut & Color, Yellow, 8" L X 3" W X 2" H Bar
:In stock at $10.33 Each

Sounds like (and looks like... I had a look) a real good deal. I just
bought a 3.5 oz stick of Dico Stainless Steel polishing compound, though
($4.10 + tax). I don't know how far this stuff goes. I may be needing
more compound sometime soon.

It goes a long way. I wasn't exaggerating much when I said there'd be
something left of a 2-1/2# bar for your heirs.

If you're working on relatively flat surfaces, the stainless compound
will work best on a hard buff. See the spiral sewn buffs near the top
of McMaster p.2610.

Be careful about snagging the pieces you're polishing with the buff or
it'll launch them at high velocity. Always work so that if the work
*does* get snagged it gets thrown down and away from you. Even with
experienced operators, the drywall behind my big 7-1/2 HP buffer was
full of holes.

--
Ned Simmons