Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Glueing a broken plastic refrigerator shelf

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 21:13:26 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
(Malcolm Hoar) wrote:
In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:
Yeah, but it does work well on skin! I recently discovered how
well when my 7 year old fell and made a nice gash on his nose
that I thought would need stitches. Off to the E.R. where they
stuck him back together with (medical grade) superglue. Within
about 10 days the would healed perfectly with no trace of a
scar. The Doc was right -- much better than stitches!
What's medical grade CA? Is that $3 dimestore glue that's been
repackaged and sold for $300? The standard stuff you have around the
house works great for wounds.
Well, pretty much. Of course, the vendor probably had to
spend many millions getting FDA approval and satisfying
all kinds of requirements relating to manufacturing,
distribution, packaging, advertising and everything else.
Yeah. I dated an orthopedic surgeon for a while, and she swore that the
bone screws cost $1800 per copy. I also know, first hand, how screws are
made. Anyone wanna pony up some venture capital?

I've seen used medical screws. There isn't much similarity except the basic
function. Kind of like comparing a bottle rocket with a saturn booster.

So a medical screw is not a piece of metal that's been machined? What is
it, then?

Oh, maybe a couple of hundred bucks per screw is plausible, due to
extremely tight QC requirements on the alloys used, the machining
quality, and the FDA-required audit trail (all implantable medical
devices are trackable from manufacture to disposal, IIRC). But the
headroom above that is 'what the market will bear', said market being
the insurance companies, and the end user seldom or ever sees the
charged price, so they don't quibble.

aem sends...