Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default How to get rid of smoke odor

"Walter R." wrote in message
.. .

The houses around us burned to the ground and contribute to the smoky
odor. There is a very fine layer of soot and ash in the attic and garage.
The rest of the house merely reeks of burned stuff.

Will washing the walls help? I am afraid that the odor will return after a
few days or weeks. Can anyone offer some suggestions for the permanent
elimination of this stink? Some people swear by ozone generators, others
say that they are dangerous and ineffective.

Vacuum or mop up all residue. Wash all walls and then most likely you will
need to paint all surfaces with a product like Klltz or Bins to seal any
remaining odor in. If the smell is inside the walls the extreme method is
to remove the drywall, seal the framing and hang new drywall. You may be
able to avoid that with a lot of caulk and effort.

The two products I mentioned are excellent. Two coats over scorched wood
and there was no smell left.

If you have insurance, file a claim. The pos will do a much better job.

Good luck.