Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Glueing a broken plastic refrigerator shelf

AZ Nomad wrote in
:

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 14:49:50 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

Smitty Two writes:

In article ,
(Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:
Yeah, but it does work well on skin! I recently discovered how
well when my 7 year old fell and made a nice gash on his nose
that I thought would need stitches. Off to the E.R. where they
stuck him back together with (medical grade) superglue. Within
about 10 days the would healed perfectly with no trace of a
scar. The Doc was right -- much better than stitches!

What's medical grade CA? Is that $3 dimestore glue that's been
repackaged and sold for $300? The standard stuff you have around
the house works great for wounds.

Well, pretty much. Of course, the vendor probably had to
spend many millions getting FDA approval and satisfying
all kinds of requirements relating to manufacturing,
distribution, packaging, advertising and everything else.

Yeah. I dated an orthopedic surgeon for a while, and she swore that
the bone screws cost $1800 per copy. I also know, first hand, how
screws are made. Anyone wanna pony up some venture capital?

Sometimes Google satisfies, sometimes it doesn't.
I couldn't verify the cost of the screws you indicate above
but I did see some of the screws are stainless steel and
some are titanium.

$1800 does seem a bit steep, even for titanium.
I'd guess there's a very low volume and a lot
of inspections, including xrays of the part involved though.

I'd like to see smitty get his ankle smashed into a thousand pieces
and then have his doc use some bigbox hardware store home construction
screws. After all, all screws are the same.

LOL!

Well, the drill the doc was using back then sure looked like some old
Milwaukee he picked up at a flea market. Fortunately I didn't see a caulk
gun with liquid nails around...could have been out of view though.