Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Lee Michaels Lee Michaels is offline

Default shop shot

"Swingman" wrote

Damn ... I thought it was a real sacrifice throwing away a half a pack!
Cheap bastid that I am, I think I may have delayed my "last cigarette" a
couple of days on a new cartoon.

Saw they were close to $4/pack here at the local convenience store the
other
day.

At three packs a day, that's a Unisaw, some wood for a medium sized
project,
and a new Forrest blade, every six months!

Perspective, perspective!

There was a famous person years ago, my foggy memory forgets who at the
moment, who was tight with a dollar. He also smoked, He did not see the
financial picture with his smoking.

So his wife initiated a unique stop smoking plan. She would throw some
money out the window, down the sewer drain, etc every time he lit up. And if
he lit up a cigar, she threw away even more money.

And to keep it interesting, each month she INCREASED the amount of the
offerings to the tobacco gods. This poor guy was in acute tightwad pain
every time she threw that money away.

It took three months, but he couldn't bear the financial pain any more. He
gave up smoking and saved the money each month he would have spent on
smoking. This went to a "mad fund" that would be spent on enjoyable things
that he would have never bought if he continued smoking.

I thought it was inspired genius on the wife's part. She understood what
pushed his hot buttons. And fully exploited it to make a major improvement
in his life. I also thought it was interesting that the health issues meant
nothing to the guy. It was the money that was the primary motivator.