Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
franz frippl franz frippl is offline

Default Plumbing code question

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 06:11:00 -0700, anthonymmfalcone wrote:

Dear Readers,

I need advice on a plumbing code question. My existing 1st floor
bathroom vanity appears to use the drain from the 2nd floor toilet as a
vent stack. Appears that both 1st and 2nd floor toilets have no other
fixtures draining into their respective drains.

Question: does the plumbing code allow me to route the 1st floor vanity
drain into the same drain from the 2nd floor toilet (which is being used
as a vent for the same vanity)? Or must I continue to have a dedicated
drain for toilet?

See sketch at:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2416/...91d8d3_b_d.jpg (If
this is not the appropriate way to reference an image on this newsgroup,
please advise and I'll change).

Your comments are appreciated.
Regards,

Anthony

If you are unable to extend vent to roof or above 2nd floor toilet,
consider using a mechanical vent installed at the sink. Just remember to
keep it accessible for inspection and maintenance.

Although not the best solution, it will work and may be permissible.
Good question to ask your local plumbing inspector. Sometimes codes vary
from locale to locale.