Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default Radon problems..

On Nov 1, 3:52 pm, "DonC" wrote:
"z" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Oct 31, 2:44 pm, "DonC" wrote:
"Clark" wrote in message

. ..

"john" wrote in
:

[snip]

Another thing..it would probably be difficult to install a radon
system
in my house because you cant drill down from inside the house. I have
Radiant Heating. (heating within the foundation)

There are other approaches than going through a hole in the floor. I
installed a system that used the drain tile and it worked quite well.

Another approach is to simply install ventilation to exhaust the radon
gases. Probably not applicable to clod winter climates.

The official radon repair guys don't like that kind of thing, on the
grounds that you're pulling it through the basement, instead of
keeping it out of the basement.

I don't really know who the "official repair guys" are but I do know that I
read this recommendation in an article regarding ways to reduce the level of
radon gas in a confined space. Here's an example from the EPA's site:

"A heat recovery ventilator (HRV), also called an air-to-air heat exchanger,
can be installed to increase ventilation which will help reduce the radon
levels in your home. An HRV will increase ventilation by introducing
outdoor air while using the heated or cooled air being exhausted to warm or
cool the incoming air. HRVs can be designed to ventilate all or part of
your home, although they are more effective in reducing radon levels when
used to ventilate only the basement. If properly balanced and maintained,
they ensure a constant degree of ventilation throughout the year. HRVs also
can improve air quality in houses that have other indoor pollutants. There
could be significant increase in the heating and cooling costs with an HRV,
but not as great as ventilation without heat recovery."

Hmm... EPA, huh... Well then, I guess by "official repair guys" I
meant the guys who are trying to get you to hire them to drill a bunch
of holes in your concrete slab. Not as objective as i had assumed.