Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M Stephen M is offline

Default Building Kitchen Cabinets

I have one big question though. I'm not sure if it's cost effective to
build my own cabinets or to go out and buy some decent quality ready
made ones.

It sure can be. 5 years ago I did my kitchen in Maple, 17 doors and 13
drawers for a sense of scale.

I used plywood carcases and solid wood doors drawers and face frames

Rough costs: $800 plywood ($65/sheet) $800 solids ($3.25/bf rough cut) $600
in hardware. Oh yeah, $2500 for granite :-(.

Even if you count the $1800 cabinet saw (was going to buy it anyway) and a
new planer. I'm sure that I am well ahead

As far as tools go I would have to buy a big router to
handle panel raising and either build or buy a "real" router table (I
am now using the Porter Cable entry level "table" with a PC 691).

What kind of table saw do you have? You *Need* a table saw for this project.

Then, there is the cost of materials. My wife wants cherry and I know
it's not cheap. The cost of hardware is obscene and all the other wood
for drawers, shelves and carcasses will add up to a small fortune.

You can find reasonable cost hardware if you shop around. I was able to find
knobs that I really liked for close to a buck a piece.

Also, any advice about ways to save money would be appreciated. I am
planning on building face frame cabinets with raised panel doors and
LOTS of drawers. I can get cherry at my local lumber yard but it costs
a fortune (finished on all 4 sides). I have a jointer and planer but
no source for unfinished kiln dried cherry (I live in NY's Hudson
Valley).

You are just not looking hard enough; it's out there. Search for "hardwood".

As other have said, you really have to enjoy the process to make it
worthwhile. One other consideration: Do you have adequate shop space to pull
it off?

-Steve