Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Polishing stainless steel

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 14:57:09 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

:
:"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
: On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 22:03:19 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
: wrote:
:
:snip
:
: :There is a way to strip almost all of the old compound off a wheel but I
: :don't discuss it in public, for the same reason I don't discuss lighting
: :charcoal fires with gasoline. d8-) It's a good way to put an eye out if
: you
: :aren't good at it.
:
: Guess you use a dangerously volatile solvent. I figure I'll stick with
: your method below, store in plastic bags.
:
:No and yes. The method involves using a knife or a sharp chisel on the
:spinning wheel. It's widely used by buffers in the plating business. Don't
:do it. That sucker can flip and come right back at you. I have a big framing
:chisel (called a "slick") that my great-grandfather used for timber-framing
:houses. It has a two-handed handle and it's almost 3 inches wide. Unless you
:have one of those, you're asking for trouble.
:
:I don't know the MAAS polish that a couple of people here have recommended.
:If it works as well as some have said here in the past, I'd give it a try.
:It sounds like it might be chemical because the hard part about polishing
:really bad stainless is getting through the oxide layers. Chromium oxide is
:harder than a witch's heart, and it can get pretty tough on old pots and
ans. If they've been overheated, you also pick up some nasty iron oxides to
:go with it. Polishing old, beat, overheated stainless can be difficult, at
:least until you get down to clean metal. I've found that the Dico stainless
olish is relatively good at getting through that stuff without scratching
:the steel, among the mechanical methods.
:
:The only chemical I know of that eats it right off is hydrofluoric acid,
:which is what welders use to clean stainless welds. Don't even think about
:it unless your health insurance is very good. g

I called Harbor Freight and they only have a kit with one bar, who knows
what it is.

I recalled an old quite large hardware store that I figured for
something. When I called a few days ago, asked if they have Dico, I was
told "no," and I took it for an answer. So, I call back today and ask
what they DO have (I figured they HAVE to have something!). A guy says
he doesn't know (read I'm too lazy to find out). I was persistent and he
finds out... He says they have a package of 4 tubes for different types
of metal. I ask him how much, he says $7.49, I ask what brand, he says
"Dico!" Bingo. One of the tubes is for stainless and from what he
described I figure it for 2-3 liquid ounces per tube. I guess I'll truck
on over there today and pick it up. I suppose it's cheaper than getting
something shipped.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net