Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damp course for victorian terraced house

On 2007-11-02, The Real Doctor wrote:
On 31 Oct, 08:44, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk
wrote:

The theortical lift in a glass tube of 0.2mm diameter, which should be more
effective at producing a straight lift from capillary action than the
variable size passageways in a brick, is 14cm, although the theoritcal lift
is not normally achieved. That suggests that either you have a reduced force
of gravity in your house, or a higher than normal surface tension in your
water, or it was not rising damp.

There are some big wooden things growing in my garden which suggest
that capillary action can be used to raise water a lot higher than 14
inches ...

Water does not rise in trees solely by capillary action, I'm afraid.

Maybe its the same thing n walls then ;-)