Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Nstar Offers Natural Gas at Contract Price (MA)- Good Idea?

"frank1492" wrote in message
This applies to the "Gas Supply Charge" portion of the bill. The
current price per therm is $.9799 and the contract price is $.9999.
The relevant time period for the contract is Nov. 1 through Ap. 30.
Two questions:
(1) Historically, does anyone know what the maximum fluctuation
has been during a winter season in the Northeast? (I am in
Massachusetts.) Please point me to data if this is kept.
(2) A very mild winter would likely drive the price down, but I
have heard widely varying reports regarding expected temps in the
NE. Anybody have thoughts on this?
Of course there are other things that could drive the price up.
When oil prices rise, gas seems to keep step for reasons whose
validity I have doubted in the past.
I have until Nov. 9 to make my decision. Should I do this?
Your thoughts are very much appreciated.
Thanks.
Frank

The fixed price is their best guess as to what the gas will cost them. It
is a fair bet to go either way; go with your gut; either choice is okay.
I am a little sick that I went variable on electricity 2 years ago; but it
is entirely a crap shoot.