Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default subpanel selection

wrote in message
oups.com...
I went to Lowe's today and discovered that it might actually be a
break even proposition to install a subpanel instead of running 6 new
circuits back to the main, since i'll avoid about 150 total feet (over
6 circuits) of 12/2 cable. However, I saw only 100Amp, 125Amp, and
200Amp panels for sale. I was thinking I could find a 60A panel. One
of the 100A panels came in a contractor pack with the ground bar, 4
20A breakers, and one 30A double breaker for real cheap. So my
question is whether I can just buy a 100A panel, and connect it to a
40A or 60A breaker in the main panel, thereby effectively limiting it
to 60A. If I buy a main lug panel, do I then just connect the #6 or
#4 wires (depending on the amperage I choose) to the main lugs on the
subpanel? If I buy a main breaker panel, is it just the lower of the
two breaker amperages from the main or sub panel that determines the
rating of the subpanel, or is that a no-no?

If I choose to just run 6 new circuits back to the main panel and
dispense with the sub altogether, can I run all 6 through one hole in
the studs, or would there be interference or some other bad result?
Do I need to drill multiple holes in the studs to make the run back to
the main panel?

Let me just add that you would have to be crazy to run 6 separate circuits
when you could run a subpanel instead. The labor savings will cover the
extra $50 real fast; not to mention the voltage drop reduction if you use an
adequate cable.
What are you doing that you need 6 circuits?