Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default do I need to upgrade to 200 amp service?

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
I would guess the suggestion was made to give you a chance to consider
upgrading now vs. sometime later when you might end up replacing what you
are doing now. I would suggest that anyone needing a new entrance or box
consider taking that step now, but it would appear you don't really need
to at this time, but keep it in mind. Maybe adding a few tools in the
garage and freezer in the basement next to the dehumidifier etc. ...

wrote in message
ups.com...
This came out of another post I made, but is something I never really
considered. I currently have 100 amp service, with 7 blanks in my
electrical panel and will be adding 6 new circuits as I finish my
basement. Someone suggested upgrading to 200amp service. I don't
want to overload my existing capacity, but I figured I have a gas
water heater, gas clothes dryer, gas furnace, gas range, etc. The
only major electrical load I have is A/C in the summer (that I can
think of right now at least). Therefore, 200amp service had never
crossed my mind. Any suggestions/opinions? Also, if I did upgrade to
200 amp service, what is the cost and process? I assume that it
doesn't cost more to have 200amp service once you get it hooked up,
it's still the same rate per kWh, just that there's the potential to
use more, right? Thanks yet again!

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

This is a complex question. I recently was faced with bringing in another
200 amp panel for an addition. When I had a very qualified electrician
friend of mine come and examine it, I found that I had adequate equipment to
add the casita, plus an AC to my main residence, and then some more.

There's nothing like having a pro give you an assessment.

That said, almost as good is IF you can, build a little bigger for the
future. Ten years ago and twenty years ago, people had NO clue they would
have as many appliances as they commonly do today. Hence, they put in what
was adequate. It costs, but it's worth it down the line.

HTH

Steve