Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default OT Metal replacement roofing?

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 16:57:12 GMT, Dan_Musicant
wrote:

I'm wondering how practical a metal roof would be for my garage, which
is WAY past due for a reroof. it's virtually completely flat, 20 x 30
feet. I think there's a slight rake because there's a gutter along one
30 foot side. Normally, a flat roof would mean hot tar, virtually
impossible DIY and probably only good for 7 years. I figure a metal roof
properly/adequately installed might last a LOT longer, possibly with
occasional upkeep of some kind. Can anyone on this?

I wouldn't go with metal on a practically dead-flat roof because of
the 'standing water going over the edges of the seams' problem. And
there has to be at least a little slope for drainage - that close to
flat, you'll have low spots that puddle, and rust will start...

Torch-down Modified roll roofing on a properly prepared substrate
(felt and underlayment) would hold up fine - that's our back patio.

Better than tar, because that's too easy to mess up in the
application. And then there's the gravel and rocks that get
everywhere other than on top of the roof...

-- Bruce --