Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default At what speed do I check my spindle runout

According to Jim Wilkins :
On Nov 1, 10:25 am, "PeterM" wrote:
I may not use the right terms, I'm a little new at this, but is there a
speed that I need to be, to see if my spindle in the lathe has any runout?

[ ... ]

The procedure for my South Bend is to place an indicator on the
spindle OD and wiggle the spindle up and down. IIRC they say apply
75Lbs to a 1 foot lever, and the play should be about 0.001-0.002".
Remove a shim if it's more, replace one if it's less.

Nope -- that isn't the runout -- that is measuring bearing wear
and adjusting it out for plain bearings. That would be an older lathe,
and the later ones would have ball or roller bearings depending on the
maker and model.

If I touch a tenth-reading dial indicator to the ID of the spindle
taper and turn it carefully by hand, the needle doesn't move 0.0001".

That is the right way to measure runout, and that is a *good*
one.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564