Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] nospam.house@none.com is offline

Default How tall should outdoor antenna be?

larry moe 'n curly wrote:

Higher the better, and if you're going to the trouble of mounting one
on the roof, you may as well place it at least 5-8' above the peak..
You want an antenna with a fairly big UHF section (thing at the front
with the short horizontal rods), meaing it should have a reflector
(short horizontal rods that extend above and below the boom). Outdoor
mounting can help a lot, especially for UHF.. Also be sure to
electrically ground the antenna, mast, and antenna cable shield to
your home's ground rod (near the circuit breaker box),. Also install
a spark arrester inline with the cable, and let the cable droop about
a foot where it enters the building so that rain will drip off rather
than run inside. About every TV and video recorder includes basic
instructions about this in the first few pages of the manual, for
safety reasons.

Thank you for all the info.

My "grand plan" is to put up a strong pole from the ground right next
to the house (so the pole leans against the house). This way, I can
put up the Antenna, plus any potential future dish that I may want to
get. I can dug a hole and pour concrete to secure the pole in place.

But do they sell Pole that long? I am in a one-story house, ceiling is
8', so I imagine the peek of the roof is probably 20'? Can I get a
pole this long? (even if I do, how the hell do I get it home?)

Perhaps I can interconnect shorter ones to make a long one, if so, is
it still stable enough for a dish?

Thanks!

Raymond