Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G Tom G is offline

Default Hot water coming out of cold

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Price Pfister shower faucet, it is a single lever turn handle
type. When I turn it to the cold water setting I get hot water for the
first few minutes. It then goes cold but it is very hard to regulate
warm water, I either get hot or cold. I was assuming it is a valve
within the cartridge that separates the hot and cold. I am also
getting hot water coming out of the sink tap for about 30 seconds now
as well. Will replacing the cartridge in the shower faucet solve both
problems or is something else going on with the plumbing?

When I lived in Arizona, I had a similar problem. Bathroom faucet (cold)
would start out pretty warm and then go cold when the cold water faucet was
turned on. Turned out that a hot water pipe had ruptured under the slab and
soaked the ground with hot water, thus heating the water in the cold lines
to the bathroom. I figured about 30,000 gallons of hot water had gone into
the ground before I figured out the problem. My wife could hear water
running all of the time but I told her she was "nuts". Of course, being
the husband, I couldn't admit that I had become pretty deaf and that she
perhaps wasn't "mumbling" all of the time when she talked to me.

Tom G.