Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Default Electric usage by time of day

JohnR66 wrote:

I understand that some electric utilities offer a program where you get a
new meter installed that takes the time of day into consideration allowing
you to save money if you don't use a lot of electricty during peak (high
cost) times.

Anyone who is trying this, are you saving much?

Thanks, John

Let me give you some example TOU (time of use) rates:

This is northern California, where the rate structure is
actually rather complicated, so I am just going to give the
the difference between the TOU rates and the "flat" rates.
For the TOU rate schedule that I am on (yes there is more than
one), "peak" time is M-F noon to 6pm (30 hours / week).
During the summer time (May-Oct), "peak" rates are 16.4 cents
more than flat rates.
Off-peak, the rates are 4.325 cents less than flat rates,
so on the average (if you had a light burning 24/7), the TOU
rates are .627 cents cheaper than flat, and the penalty for consuming
during peak instead of off-peak is 20.7 cents.
During the winter, both peak and off-peak are cheaper than flat rates.

TOU works in your favor if you are not home during the weekdays
or have utility interactive photovoltaic systems.
It works against you if you run airconditioning during weekdays.