Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric Eric is offline

Default National Grid is ripping me off

Things to check:
1 Got a septic pump? Maybe its running too much, ground water running back
into tank, or stuck in on postion, etc
2 Are you in a 1 family house? not a duplex or apt?
3 Leakage to ground from bad wire or some such thing?
4 Water pump? if so check its working properly
5 Check fridge and freezer door seals
6 Attic fan? is it running continuously?
7 Electric Water Heater? check elements and thermostat, make sure hot
water isnt running down the drain somewhere
Thats all I can think of at the moment. Others here have some good
suggestions too
Eric

Jordan wrote:

I have always had a feeling that there is something drastically wrong with
my meter because my KWH usage seems to be way above what other families
with
similar homes and lifestyles have. A couple of times I have asked
National Grid to come out and take a look at the meter to be sure that it
is working properly because my usage just seems really high compare to
others.

Well this month really clinched it for me that something is definetly
wrong. Last year's bill for the period Sept 11 - Oct 10 I had 840 KWH
usage but
this year I had 960 KWH - About a 15% increase. There is no way I used
this much more than last year.

This both my kids are in school and my wife is back to work. That means
that no one is using the TV, leaving lights on, cooking, or playing with
the
computer, or any toys during the day from 7:30 to 4:00 any more. 40% of
our
awake time in the house has been eliminated. Additionally because of the
high cost of energy I have run around like a crazy man replacing all my
standard bulbs with the CF bulbs all rated at about 1/4 the watts of the
standard bulb. I know lighting is not that much of the bill, but it shoud
save something by replacing $150 in bulbs. Also, I don't have electric
heat, no AC was running during this time, no new appliances or any issues
with current ones.

I called National Grid and I just got the run around. They tried to
pretend like they make the only gadget in the world that does not break or
act
irratic. I told them that I demanded that they come out and look at the
meter because my lifestyle change and the fact and all the energy savings
that I have done should have reduced my bill significantly, not increase
it, but they still will not.

What can I do to get these scumbags who are ripping me off out here to
take a look at it and what I can I do to make sure they are doing it
right?