Posted to alt.home.repair
Cshenk Cshenk is offline

Default Shingles

Still in Chicago? Could it be the difference is based on weather conditins
and one works better in cold and the other in hotter spots?

"jmagerl" wrote in message
Just my experience: I reshingled proffesionally back in 1998. Not one
contractor (out of 5) would quote me fiber glass shingles. Everyone told
me they didint hold up to Chicago's climate. Now its 2008, new house, and
I have to do some patching. I go to a big box store expecting to buy
Asphalt shingles. Not one store carried them. All Fiber glass. I suspect
which is better is going to boil down to whats sold in your area.

"Frugal Farmer" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 08:12:43 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

I have one layer of asphalt shingles at the moment and am in North
Carolina. So what's your opinion, asphalt or fiberglass?

I would definitely go with steel shingles if you are looking for an
easy DIY re-roofing material. Especially in a hurricane region. You
dont have to take the old asphalt shingles down. You can buy steel
shingles on ebay:

just make sure you dont get screwed by this seller (see previous
thread for details). Also, you can contact these wholesalers:

bestbuymetals.com, metalroofingwholesalers.com, metalroofingsource.com

or mfgs: accelroofing.com, custombiltmetals.com, edcoproducts.com,
follansbeeroofing.com, kasselwood.com, kasselandiron.com,
kasselandirons.com, metalsales.us.com, decra.com,
metroroofproducts.com, metalsusa.com, allmet.com, zappone.com,
tamko.com, steeltile.com, met-tile.com, nordmantile.com,
interlockroofing.com, futureroof.com, loomismetals.com,
paradigmshingles.com, reinkeshakes.com, raremanufacturing.com,
vailmetal.com, vailmetalshingle.com, permatileroofing.com,
westform.com, & manymany
more.