Posted to alt.home.repair
Cshenk Cshenk is offline

Default Shingles

Joseph, I'll add to your post that in my area at least, codes do not allow a
3rd layer. Norfolk area, storm related issues. We arent 'hurricane alley'
but we get hit often enough. It's that and the weight which can cause major
long term damage I am told.

A DIY job by a fellow down the street was 3 layer and the random (1-2 times
a year) inspector caught it and made him take it all off. He got fined too
but I dont know how much. He hadnt known it wasnt allowed here (good fellow
actually) and said '3 was ok where he came from' which leads me to believe
this varies.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
..
When you say another layer, how many layers are there now? If it is
more than one, don't try adding another. If fact it is really better to
tear off and get any old problems out of there.

As far as the choice, it might be helpful if you tell us where you are.
Washington State is far different than New York and they are different
than Arizona or Florida.

Origional was:

"David L. Martel" wrote in message ...
I need to put on another layer of shingles. Asphalt and fiberglass
shingles sell for the same price. Does anyone have an opinion on which is
better for re-shingling?

Thanks,
Dave M.