Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus19538 Ignoramus19538 is offline

Default Foubd a huge cart on garbage today

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:14:42 -0500, Ignoramus1192
On 2007-10-31, Bruce L Bergman wrote:

The kind of stuff that I could do with it is put a lathe on it or
whatever of that size, like a big 8 cylinder inline diesel. It can
probably carry 4k lbs easily.

But with the hard rubber wheels you can't leave a really heavy load
(over 500 Lbs. or so) sitting on it long term without the casters
first flat-spotting and then cracking and falling apart. For that
kind of use you need the cast-iron centered wheels with molded on thin
tires, or solid cast iron.

Bruce, this seems to be a material other than rubber, such as
polyurethane. Would it change anything?

Might, but I'd try to ID the wheels and look them up in a catalog to
make sure what they were made of and the ratings. No sense destroying
the wheels, then you have to find or buy another set.

The trick for long term storage of 'overload the wheels' heavy stuff
is to park the cart where you want it, then jack it up and slide wood
blocks under it to take the load, one end at a time. And you don't
have to worry. ;-)

Bruce, I agree totally with the idea of jacking up the cart.

My old cart, that I made from wood and Harbor Freight casters, is
made with non-rubber wheels that do not sag.

I can take extra pictures or write down the manufacturer name of the
casters.

They seem to be bigger than my 650 lbs rated casters as far as
quantity of iron is concerned.