Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
woodworker88 woodworker88 is offline

Default At what speed do I check my spindle runout

On Nov 1, 7:25 am, "PeterM" wrote:
I may not use the right terms, I'm a little new at this, but is there a
speed that I need to be, to see if my spindle in the lathe has any runout?
One of my friends asked me what the run out was....He thinking about buying
my lathe......Peter

Best checked with the drive disconnected (belts slack/gears in
neutral), turning it by hand. Take a dial indicator, indicate on
either the surface of a dead center, the OD of the register (the
precision part against which the chuck seats) or the inside of the
spindle bore. Find the low point, zero the indicator, and find the
high point. The measurement is your TIR, total indicator reading,
which is what people usually refer to when they talk about runout.