Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default do I need to upgrade to 200 amp service?

On Oct 31, 9:03 pm, wrote:
I certainly understand your points, but this is a townhome and other
than finishing the basement I dont think many people buying these
houses really consider adding tons of extra circuits. And actually
the existing panel is only 10 years old, in great shape, and is made
by GE. So...I guess I'll price out adding a subpanel versus running
the longer runs of 12/2 cable. It may not actually be that much more
to add a subpanel, and I guess it really isn't much different than any
other home run. Thanks again for the advice.

The next buyer might not be thinking about adding extra circuits, but
they might be thinking about having enough power to run a media room
in that newly finished basment, along with computers, electric
appliances, etc. In that case they might be happy with the number of
outlets, but might want a 200 amp service.