Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default changing the topic to fractions

In article , "Stephen M" wrote:

The metric debate got me thinking:

Since all the common denomenators for franctional inches are powers of 2,
wouldn't it be much less cumbersome to express the demomenator as the
exponent of the power of 2?

That is:

1/2 = 1/(2^1) could be expressed as 1:1 or "one, one"
3/4 = 3/(2^2) or "three, two"
3/16 would be "three, four"
37/256 would be "thiry seven, eight"

"Less cumbersome"?? Not in my opinion.

But then again I'm comfortable in hexidecimal.

So am I (first job out of college was assembly-language programming on a
370/145 DOS/VSE) -- but I still think that's a really bad idea, starting with
the fact that while you and I are perfectly comfortable doing math in hex, it
appears you've forgotten that somewhere around 99.99% of the population isn't.

BTW, it's spelled "hexadecimal."

--
Regards,