Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Bonner Martin Bonner is offline

Default Damp course for victorian terraced house

On Nov 1, 12:23 am, wrote:
Be interesting to hear how you determined that the water rose up
the wall, rather than being lateral penetration or condensation.

Because there was no way other than that it could get up what was
essentially a pillar in the middle of the house.

There was no 'outside wall' idiot.

THEY were dry - THEY had been injected. It was only the INTERIOR walls.

I figured the reply would be less than logical. Walls with their feet
in water tend to be colder, and walls are always coldest
at the bottom anyway, so its no surprise when condensation
occurs there.

Boggle! Outside walls tend to be colder still, and injecting a DPC
won't warm the wall up (so it would still get condensation). I think
you are clutching at straws here.

I don't think the Natural Philosopher is suggesting that all dampness
in all houses is due to rising damp - and to do so would be
ridiculous.

It is not ridiculous to ask "Is it possible that no dampness in any
house is caused by rising damp", but there comes a point where it /is/
ridiculous to continue to avoid the evidence that "at least part of at
least one wall is damp because of rising damp" (to misquote the old
joke about black sheep in Scotland).