Posted to rec.woodworking
Thomas G. Marshall Thomas G. Marshall is offline

Default Rules on pre-drilling sizes for screws

Limey Lurker said something like:

I forget where I saw it, but some research was done that proved that
pre-drilling for wire nails (round-shanked nails) made the nails grip
more securely, (probably because the wood contacts the nail over 360
degrees of the nail's circumference, and not just on 2 sides where the
grain divides around the nail).

That much makes intuitive sense, but it's not 100% clear to me that the
force from the memory of the wood (the degree to which it is trying to slam
back in place) isn't a stronger force to hold the nail in place.