Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default Chatter while parting off.

Karl Townsend wrote:
Hmm...

Looks like I have the minority view here. You make good points.

For my lathe (10EE), I had awful time with cutoff with HSS tooling on
anything over one inch diameter. Tried everything. "The Kid" made me get an
insert cutoff tool and use power feed and lots o' coolant. Viola! my
troubles went away. YMMV

Karl

I have parted off 3 inch bar on my Myford.

You gotta beleive me, when I say "It ain't a pretty scene"

Finding the balance between too high an RPM, and too much feed...

It cut off, though! :-)

The lathes at work, with power cross feed, are much more fun.

Cheers
Trevor Jones