Posted to alt.home.repair
smcjensen smcjensen is offline

Default power house vents

On Oct 31, 1:09 pm, Drew Cutter wrote:
I have to replace a smash vent on the roof. I thought this would be a
good time to put in a power air vents. Any down side ? solar ?

I installed a fan in one of the gable end vents a few summers ago. I
also built a baffle so it wouldn't suck air into the same vent then
just blow it right back out. I have other gable vents in the attic
and soffit vents as well. Fan was placed in one of the uppermost
gables. I did some before and after testing and the power vent
brought the attic temp down about 15 degrees which is pretty
significant. I'm in NC and have a 2 AC house. It makes sense that an
AC unit in a 115 degree attic would have less work to do than one in a
130 degree attic. Upstairs is appreciably more comfortable and on the
really hot days, the upstairs AC used to run seemingly all day long.

If upstairs AC is also a gas furnace, you need to wire the fan so that
it won't go on if the furnace is on as it can disrupt the flow of
gases up the flue.