Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Chatter while parting off.

Hmm...

Looks like I have the minority view here. You make good points.

For my lathe (10EE), I had awful time with cutoff with HSS tooling on
anything over one inch diameter. Tried everything. "The Kid" made me get an
insert cutoff tool and use power feed and lots o' coolant. Viola! my
troubles went away. YMMV

A 10EE is probably an order of magnitude stiffer than a lot of the
ancient South Bends & the like that most home shops have. I have a
relatively new 11" Emco Maier, and it will work with inserts, but only if
you are careful. If you aren't, things can start flexing & exploding in
a hurry.

Doug White