Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dom[_2_] Dom[_2_] is offline

Default Chatter while parting off.

Easy solution. I just had to grow some balls. I was a little shy
about breaking the tool, and this led me to taking too light a feed.
I discussed the problem with a colleague, (who happens to be a
national workskills champion) and we had some fun experimenting. He
really carved into it, hand feeding, really heavy cuts, you could hear
the motor loading up, no chatter though, and a beautiful finish. We
tried power feed too, this was maybe a little too slow, and could have
been increased at least double. We tried some 1020, 4140, and 316,
all with no problems. 316 gave the best finish. 4140 had the
cleanest chip.

Thanks all for your input. (I did a follow up post yesterday, but its
not here?) Its been interesting getting other peoples take on the
subject.

Cheers Dom.
(Queensland Australia)