Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony Anthony is offline

Default Air compressor continuous run?

"Tom Gardner" wrote in
et:

My air supply is in stages. One 7.5 hp 3-phase 230v Quincy can
usually carry the load. It come on at 90 and runs to 120, or there
about. If the demand is bigger, another Quincy gets put on line. I
also have a 10 hp. Hydrovane as a back-up. I have yet another Quincy
in reserve. I hate not having air! We're looking at #1 that seems to
be about 50% duty cycle with just less than 1 minute off time. We're
wondering if we would be better off financially running the motor
continuously and unloading the valves at high pressure.

One of my ideas was for the lowest mechanic to catalog every air leak
and repair them...they add up quick. It seems we can go about a year
before they become an issue.

A small plc brick could rotate cycling of the 3 the quincy's, so that you
aren't wearing out 1 compressor. This gives the motors time to cool
between cycles. I would also have it control the unloaders. As someone
else stated all the tanks should be tied together.
We do this on the 4 compressors at the plant (3-400 hp, 1-250 hp Sullair
screw compressors).

--
Anthony

better idiots.