Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Polishing stainless steel

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

No and yes. The method involves using a knife or a sharp chisel on the
spinning wheel. It's widely used by buffers in the plating business.
Don't do it. That sucker can flip and come right back at you. I have a
big framing chisel (called a "slick") that my great-grandfather used for
timber-framing houses. It has a two-handed handle and it's almost 3
inches wide. Unless you have one of those, you're asking for trouble.

I don't know the MAAS polish that a couple of people here have
recommended. If it works as well as some have said here in the past, I'd
give it a try. It sounds like it might be chemical because the hard part
about polishing really bad stainless is getting through the oxide layers.
Chromium oxide is harder than a witch's heart, and it can get pretty
tough on old pots and pans. If they've been overheated, you also pick up
some nasty iron oxides to go with it. Polishing old, beat, overheated
stainless can be difficult, at least until you get down to clean metal.
I've found that the Dico stainless polish is relatively good at getting
through that stuff without scratching the steel, among the mechanical
methods.

The only chemical I know of that eats it right off is hydrofluoric acid,
which is what welders use to clean stainless welds. Don't even think
about it unless your health insurance is very good. g

--
Ed Huntress

WHILE WE ARE ON THIS (TIMELY! SUBJECT, could you address
passivating(sp?) welded stainless?

Yes. 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC. If there's any address
that needs passivating, that's it.

There are a few (very few) welded parts I have to have done, and the
local welder, who does really pretty work, doesn't know the term.

I'm going to pass on this for now, because the welders and other experts
probably will give you the lowdown. There is a paste of hydrofluoric acid
and something that's available from welding supply shops for small jobs, and
there are ways to do bigger jobs without killing yourself. I've also heard
of nitric acid being used but don't quote me. This is not my department.

--
Ed Huntress