Posted to rec.woodworking
Ferd Farkel Ferd Farkel is offline

Default Woodshop Accidents

On Oct 28, 7:47 pm, Tanus wrote:
Ferd Farkel wrote:
On Oct 28, 6:21 am, JKevorkian wrote:

An insurance adjuster/investigator came to our house to interview my son shortly
after the accident in response to a lawsuit that the kid's parents were filing
against the school. The school, in turn, filed a suit against the saw
manufacturer for not providing a suitable guard for the machine.

How much did the local taxpayers pay for the kid's stupidity? Would
have been cheaper if he got killed instead of maimed.

I don't see that as helpful. A 14 year
old kid who lost most of his hand
suffers from ignorance perhaps, but I
doubt that he was stupid. From the OP on
the fingers being lost, the kid ignored
the blade height instructions, but it's
not clear if he removed the guard
against shop rules.

Regardless, it's a 14 year old kid. The
age of rebelliousness and
invulnerability. If shop teachers don't
know about that age, they shouldn't be
teaching. The onus is on the teacher to
teach - safety, procedures, and
consequences.

And after the kids are taught that, if
they can't accept what rules come out of
the procedures, it's up to a shop
teacher to get that kid out of his shop.

I see that as much more of a
school/teacher responsibility than that
of the kid. In essence, the kid had the
accident because either the school shop
had no rules, or the teacher didn't
enforce them.

Sticking your hand where it'll get shredded
by big sharp spinning metal things is more
than ignorance.