Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterK[_2_] PeterK[_2_] is offline

Default Treatment of period wood

"Jonathan" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 30 Oct, 19:55, "Keith Dunbar" wrote:
In the process of replacing some radiators in my 350 year old cottage
some
beams will be exposed which are not normally seen. I understand they
should
be treated with linseed oil, but am unsure as to whether that should be
boiled or just regular linseed oil - or whatever?

Keith

We are in the process of doing up an equivalent age building and my
builder is talking about wax. I was going to see if I could find any
in a liquid form to make it easier to apply to fairly rough oak beams.
Does 300 year old oak need any treatment at all? Does anyone know?

Joanthan

Sikkens do interior wood finish - see
http://www.sikkens.co.uk/NR/rdonlyre...5E/0/BRIAR.pdf
for a claimed suitability on internal oak

Peter K