Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

Default How would I get rid of all of the sediments from the plumbing from my house?

On Oct 30, 9:30 am, John van Gurp wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, cln wrote:
How would I get rid of all of the sediments from the plumbing from my
house? (yes, I'm on a well)

If I install a filter on the water supply will stop it from coming in
100%? What about the leftover sediments in the system currently?
Would shocking the well and system be enough to take care of this
issue?

You need a spin down sediment filter to get rid of larger sediment before
any finer filtration.

John

I went to HD yesterday and got a Household Filtration Unit by GE
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber
I couldn't find the exact model I got but you'll get the idea.

I'm looking if it said 'spin down' but since it was one of only 2
household filters they had, I figured it was my best bet.

They had many other choices but most of them were just under drinking
water/under counter installation.
The other household filters were (a) the same I had minus the bypass,
(b) same I had minus parts like compression fittings and filter, (c)
mine, bypass valve compression fittings, filter... finally (d) high
flow or high volume filter system which i found odd that the filters
that would fit in it only went down to 30 microns (minimum) compared
to my model that can take filter with capacity of 5 microns.

Thanks all, I'll start with this and let the system clean itself for a
while, then later I'll add onto the system the water softener that I
desperately need. I'll make sure I add the right number of ball valves
so when I come to add other items to the main line that I won't be
stuck draining the whole system for nothing.
I'll shock the well later, I know it won't solve the issue of
sediments but at least disinfect and maybe clean the pipes.

Thanks again, cln