Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan Jonathan is offline

Default Pumps

On 31 Oct, 10:35, "Doki" wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote in message

ups.com...

Following the recent flooding, we are thinking of buying a pump so
that we can pump out our ground floor if it ever happens again. I
would also like it to be able to pump water from the river to run my
garden irrigation system, which has a series of small sprinklers.

Can anyone recommend a pump at a reasonable price to meet these need?
The catalogues have so many that I don't really know where to start.

Ring up a local pump place. We got a japanese made sump pump job for far
less than the northern tool guff. I'd have thought some sort of sump pump is
what you'd want for clearing your house out, and I'd be unsure at to whether
it's allowed to nick water out of the river to water your garden. Much less,
if you'd actually want to - a hell of a lot of rivers are full of nasty
****e, and it can move at a very slow rate when it gets caught up in
sediment, so even if your're miles from industry the water can still be
polluted.

Thanks for this. As a riparian owner, you are actually allowed to
abstract 20 cubic metres of water a day without a licence. Our river
is pretty clear and I would want some sort of filter to keep my
irrigation pipes clean.

Jonathan