Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan Jonathan is offline

Default Treatment of period wood

On 30 Oct, 19:55, "Keith Dunbar" wrote:
In the process of replacing some radiators in my 350 year old cottage some
beams will be exposed which are not normally seen. I understand they should
be treated with linseed oil, but am unsure as to whether that should be
boiled or just regular linseed oil - or whatever?

Keith

We are in the process of doing up an equivalent age building and my
builder is talking about wax. I was going to see if I could find any
in a liquid form to make it easier to apply to fairly rough oak beams.
Does 300 year old oak need any treatment at all? Does anyone know?

Joanthan