Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Chatter while parting off.

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:59:18 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

This is driving me crazy. I've tried everything I can think of.

BTDT.

The solution is insert style cutoff tool. I made the change and all my
troubles went away. Just engage the power X feed and collect your part. I
use manchester separator system, there are other good choices, especially
iscar.

Karl

I respectfully disagree. I think the issue is rigidity of the machine.
I've had zero problems with cutoff or chatter using ordinary HSS
parting blades on my import (India, not China) 15x50 lathe.

Carbide tooling always requires a more rigid machine than well-ground
HSS tooling to work well.