Posted to alt.home.repair
runsrealfast runsrealfast is offline

Default Baseboard Heat

On Oct 29, 7:34 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"runsrealfast" wrote in message

1. What is the difference between the standard electric and the
Hydronic Liquid-Filled heaters.
examples:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=30056-4...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=225986-...

Start with the basic. A watt is a watt and gives you the same amount of
heat energy no matter how it is delivered to you. The oil filled units tend
to have more mass and larger surface area to give off the same amount of
heat, thus they feel cooler since the heat is spread over a larger area.

2. The last owner did at least leave the wiring and the wall
thermostat's in both the bedroom and living room. Can I just hook up
new heaters to the existing wiring without any problems?

Yes, as long as the wiring is adequate for the heater size you install.
Check to see that it is connected to a breaker also.

Also do baseboard heaters loose efficiency over time? If so for as
cheap as they are it might be worth replacing a few others?

Nope, they should be as efficient as the day they we installed, save for a
tiny loss if the element is dust covered.

Thanks, your answers made life a lot easier. The old heaters were on a
breaker.

John