Posted to uk.d-i-y
Si[_2_] Si[_2_] is offline

Default Who can move my gas meter?

In message . com,
writes

I'd like to get my gas meter moved (from just inside the front door to
a meter or so outside, in our front garden). My gas supplier
(Scottish Power) said that I had to get their contractor (Scotia) to
do it.

The quote's come in at over £700 for what, at a guess, is probably
about half a day's work.

Do I have to stick with them - or am I allowed to get anyone else to
quote?

I had this problem years ago - but after the break-up of gas supplies.
When we moved here, the gas meter was just inside the front door at the
bottom of the stairs. Apparently, sometime, previous occupants had had a
coin slot meter. I contacted my supplier and asked whether anyone other
than them could have fitted the meter there. I pointed out the H&S
hazard it presented and politely asked them to move it FOC. They sent
someone out to look & then agreed they'd do it.

--
Si