Posted to alt.home.repair
Maury Markowitz Maury Markowitz is offline

Default Room lighting options

I would like to explore some newer lighting options for my home. I
currently have a mix of CF's in all the non-dimmable rooms (bathrooms,
hallways, utility rooms, etc.) and a mix of old-school bulbs and
halogen pots where I need dimming (kitchen, office, livingroom).

The problem is that it's the high-wattage lights that are used the
most. Specifically, my kitchen, living room and office make up
something like 80% of all the lighting turned on in the house over
time. All of the other lights combined are turned on for maybe 2 hours
a day combined.

So it's the lights that are the least effiecient that are being used
the most. I'd like to hear any suggestions you might have on how to
attack this.

I have tried dimmable screw-in CF's, but they buzz terribly, give off
a green-tinted light at lower settings, and have a very high "lowest
setting" that makes them basically useless IMHO. Perhaps there's some
good ones I could look at?

I'm also very interested in xenon, I used them for my under-counter
and I really like the light. Are there dimmable xenons? Are there
fixtures suitable for replacing pot halogens in a room-lighting
situation?

Any other options I should consider?

Thanks!

Maury